Thursday, September 24, 2009

Donation Slips

My friend Colin and I have started going to the library to study together. We always tease each other because he goes to BYU and I go to UVU. It's kind of funny - I tease people that go to BYU because some people that go there are ridiculous (not the names mentioned here) and so it makes it very easy to laugh about. I always say BYU is one huge bubble. I think it's a great school - just a huge bubble. Then when it comes to Colin teasing me about UVU, he always seems somewhat nervous about following through with his remarks. I can always tell when he's going to say a UVU remark because he'll start off, and then say "oh, nevermind" and turn a slight shade of red. And I'll just say "spit out the UVU talk...". It's quite funny to hear BYUers talk about UVU - and UVUers talk about BYU. Anyways...

Here's the real part of my blog post:

The first "library evening", we went to the BYU library. It's a very quiet place if you haven't been there. Like a library should probably be. We were in the periodicals section. I guess this is the area where if you want to get asked out on a date, you should go. I was fine with my BYU library experience - a little "bubble" shocked, but it's starting to die down. I had to do a few double takes to make sure I was seeing what I was really seeing, but we do that at UVU too - just in the complete opposite realm of things.

The second library experience happened tonight at the UVU library. Now, I was nervous about Colin being out of the BYU scene. It was a little out of his comfort zone. Before we got to the library, we stopped at the gas station next to campus (I tend to get thirsty while in the library, so to avoid 47 trips to the drinking fountain, I buy one) and while we were there we saw a group of high school children smoking. Colin says "there's a gas station at the south of [BYU] campus, and we see quite a different crowd there." This comment was quite great. The first of many to come in the evening.

When we arrived at the library, I told him he may see things he has never seen before, such as colored hair, facial hair, tatoos etc (we only saw yellow feathers sticking in a girls hair unfortunately). We got up to our study area, and it's very vacant compared to BYU - I guess we aren't as studious as they are? There may have been mild reference made about that. We sat next to a table who had a man who chose to talk on his cell phone for about 10 minutes. This really upset Colin (maybe surprised/bugged/shocked is a better word/words). He kept making faces at him, then once the man saw him, he left. Another interruption was made by the custodial personnel. They decided that it was time to vacuum the entire library while we were still there. I too thought this was a little weird. This was when the comment, "I guess they don't do the early to bed, early to rise custodial concept here" came. I guess at BYU, they go early in the morning to clean.

Despite his claims of not feeling so, I could tell during the evening that Colin felt a little uncomfortable to be in a non-dedicated place of study. However, he made my worries disappear when we were driving out of the parking lot/passing the institute building when he said "I felt safe while in the library, because I could look out the windows and see the institute building"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha - this is the greatest thing I have ever heard. I think you had to be there maybe, or you have to understand our humor/friendship to understand how funny this was. It seriously was great.

For those of you reading this and know Colin, maybe you can understand how funny this was? Or maybe it wasn't that funny, and I am just crazy. It could be either.

Anyways...

GO BYU
Go UVU



I also wanted to mention - did you know that slips you write on while making a donation to a charity are called Donation Slips? They have official names.

1 comment: