Sunday, January 3, 2010

"In the Top of the Mountains..."

I said I would post more of these, so here we go.

For one of my photography classes at school, our final project was to do whatever we wanted. The only requirement was that we had to have a goal and accomplish that goal through our photographs. My favorite thing to photography is people and their emotions. It's great and lots of times completely hilarious. I decided that I would do something that I don't usually do and step out of my "people" comfort zone. I chose Temples. I didn't really know what my "goal" would be, so I just said that it was to give a unique/different perspective on a photograph of a temple.

The way it was presented was in a book. It was titled "In the Top of the Mountains..." (from a scripture in the bible found in Isaiah 2:2). Also in the book I gave a description of what Temples were all about (thank you mormon.org - and yes I cited it).

So here is a glimpse of what my book was.

The Purpose of Temples (mormon.org)

The Lord has commanded His people to build temples. One such command was directed to Solomon, who proceeded to build a house of the Lord and the most sacred structure on earth. Earlier, the Israelite’s tabernacle in the wilderness served as a temple, and there was a temple in the time of Jesus Christ.
When Jesus Christ restored His Church through Joseph Smith, He again directed that temples be built. In the temple, sacred covenants are made and worthy members are endowed with a gift of power and knowledge from on high.
In the more than 100 holy temples worldwide today, members:

- Learn eternal truths.
- Receive sacred ordinances, including those that bind husband and wife together for eternity, as well as join
children and parents ( Malachi 4:5).

- Perform ordinances such as baptism in behalf of those who have died without the opportunity to receive the
gospel, making it possible for those who choose to accept them to return to live one day with Heavenly Father
(1 Peter 4:6 and 1 Corinthians 15:29).


Visitors are welcome to visit the temple grounds at any temple and attend open houses prior to dedication, thereafter only baptized members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who are qualified and prepared are allowed to enter a temple after it is dedicated.



Jordan River Temple







Salt Lake Temple







Mount Timpanogos Temple







Did you know...
That a lot of the "Moroni's" on the top of Temples are different?!? There are at least 3 different ones! Some Temples have the same one but isn't that kinda weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment